Throughout its long history, Nisyros was a place of intense spirituality and religiosity. Proof of it, the numerous places of worship, as evidenced by the remains of small churches, the countless temples of Byzantine and post-Byzantine periods and the humble chapels that are scattered in the countryside. It is astonishing, given the variety and beauty of the religious feeling expressed on the island over the centuries with its numerous monasteries, churches, hermitages and incomparable religious art objects (such as Byzantine icons, icons, fretworks, stone sculptures etc.), which are a mosaic of rare beauty. This beauty is emphasised even more than the magnitude of different pictures and wonders of the natural landscape of the island.The acquaintance with the religious monuments and sacred memories of Nisyros, but also the deep feeling that they convey, is linked with the search for a different lifestyle, based on authentic traditional values. That is why the monuments of this place are not simply Museum objects or soulless information sources. On the contrary it is a strong presence in the cultural tradition of the island, a soul ‘deposit’ of hope and renewal, and therefore it can inspire and give a different meaning of life in our days to the visitor of the island.Almost all festivals organised in the island are visitor attractions. • On June 30, in village Paloi there is a fair and feast day of the Holy Apostles.
- On 26-27 July at the location Avlaki there is a feast in celebration of Saint Panteleimonas.
- On 14-15 August, the fair organised by the Panagia Spiliani (Virgin Mary of Caves) in Mandraki, with visitors coming from all the Dodecanese Islands, is the most important event held in Nisyros.
- On 14-15 August festival is organised by the Holy Monastery of Panagia (Virgin Mary) Kyra (Lady).
- On 22-23 August there is a feast at the Holy Monastery of Panagia Kyra in celebration of the nine days of the Dormition of the Theotokos.
- On 8 September is celebrated the genesis of Panagia in Emporio.
- On 13-14 September a feast is held in the monastery of Timios Stavros in the volcano.
- On 25-26 September the celebration for the feast of St John the Theologian in Monastery in the village of Nikia.
- On 7-8 November, in the village of Emporio, a feast for the day of Archangel Michael.
- On 21 November, a feast to the Eisodia (presentation) of the Virgin Mary in the village of Nikia.
Excellent season for one’s presence in Nisyros is the season of Easter, the Holy week and the week after Easter.